Wednesday 13 February 2013

#HDH - Hump Day Hook - Love Hurts (A Redcliffe Novel)


Hello and welcome to Valentine’s week and today’s Hump DayHook! We have seen some interaction with vampires during recent weeks, and they seem to be a popular choice for Valentine romances. Today I would like to offer you a little something from the werewolves, just to shake it up a little. We return again to the first novel in the Redcliffe series, Love Hurts, and this one is free to view on Wattpad for a limited time only.

With that in mind, here is an excerpt where our heroine Jessica Stone witnesses a mysterious exchange between the werewolf alpha Danny Mason, and his lieutenant Sally Frost. At this point Jessica is not aware of vampires and werewolves, and she has no idea of what she has gotten herself involved in.


Danny was standing close to Sally, and he looked quite angry and intimidating.  In fact he looked different, more frightening, very like Jack had on that morning when he pinned me in the bedroom.  Sally seemed to be acting submissively to him, as though she had done something wrong, but I couldn’t imagine what.  Surely they must be a couple and they were having an argument.  But why would Danny be in the hospital when Sally was working?  He should be at work today I knew that.  Actually he was dressed in jeans and a smart shirt rather than his usual surfer clothes.  I knew enough to see that these were his work clothes.  Maybe he was on an investigation or something. 


Mysterious happenings, aren’t they? Ha ha! Now, why not pop over to our Hump Day Hook blog and check out some fabulous excerpts from brilliant authors that write everything from straight romance, gay romance and erotica, medical drama, science fiction, and a whole lot more. You can also find us on Facebook, and join in the fun. Happy Humping, and Happy Valentine’s!

29 comments:

  1. Oh, she's clueless watching their exchange. I liked the snippet a lot. Dominance and submission in a pack is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I thought that might shake it up a bit...

      Delete
  2. I like the mystery of how what she sees puzzles and even disturbs her. She wants to make it normal, but deep inside she knows it is something unusual. I, too, want to know more about what goes on in the dynamics between Danny and Sally. Love your world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Flossie! Yes, Jessica knows something is amiss, but her human conditioning takes a while to weaken.

      Delete
  3. Hmm...definitely a mystery. I love that she's watching the exchange and trying to figure it out...I'd be in her shoes too...people watching even people I know.

    Great hook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! Yes, she cannot help herself with the Mason brothers...

      Delete
  4. You know it's a good hook when you want to know more and are asking questions as you read it!

    Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I love to throw in a little mystery and intrigue now and again.

      Delete
  5. Very interesting from her POV! Great hook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great hook - and I love that image, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! She's trying to come up with reasonable explanations - boy, is SHE in for a surprise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's our Jessica, always trying to rationalize (at least until she discovers the truth about her friends!)

      Delete
  8. Yes, very mysterious indeed! Great hook!

    Also I see you tagged your post with #BeingHuman. I'm such a fan of that show (UK version) and so sad it's coming to an end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I was very upset to hear the sad news last week! Being Human is my favourite paranormal series, and I am watching it with bittersweet delight now... Still, there's now room for a new TV show set in Cornwall I reckon! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  9. Werewolf pack dynamics are always interesting to see worked out. Nice snipppet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely pulls me forward. I am as curious as she is. Great hook!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am all crazy about the wolves at the moment. I wrote a wolf story for nano and I've just started Bitten by Kelley Armstrong to try and satisfy my wolf craving!

    It's so nice to see it from an outsiders view for a change - interesting hook :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, I read Bitten and it was pretty good. I preferred the shape shifters in the Anita Blake series by Laurell K Hamilton, have you read those? Her wolves are seriously hot and very passionate! Thanks for commenting and I'm glad you liked the hook.

      Delete
  12. I've only ever written werewolves from the perspective of those who know, never from the perspective of those who are clueless. So this was definitely interesting to read. Little does she know that "submissive" was the perfect word, lol. Great hook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I'm glad you liked it, and to be honest I never thought about that aspect when I wrote the book. It all came naturally, since Jessica tells the story. Well, it all worked out perfectly it seems!

      Delete
  13. My Name is Kelly Williams from Canada, i turn to a vampire any time i want to, I become a real vampire because of how people treat me, This world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. At the snack of my finger things are made happened. Am now a powerful vampire and no one step on me without an apology goes free. I turn to human being also at any time i want to. And am one of the most dreaded and respected person in my country. i am now also very famous and rich with the help of the VAMPIRES EMPIRE. i get what ever a want. i become a vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a vampire Kingdom by given me their email: templeofsuccessandlove1@gmail.com, if you want to become a powerful and a real vampire kindly contact the vampire kingdom on their email: templeofsuccessandlove1@gmail.com for help. it is real. Contact them today. templeofsuccessandlove1@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete