Wednesday 13 November 2013

#NaNoWriMo – The Vampire of Blackpool - #HDH

Hello and welcome to the Hump Day Hook. In honour of National Novel Writing Month 2013, this week I share an excerpt from my ‘winning’ manuscript of NaNoWriMo 2012. Here is a snippet from The Vampire of Blackpool:


Samantha stared at me, her confidence growing.
“You didn’t answer my other question,” she said, “Why did you attack this man?”
I inclined my head.
“I already told you,” I said, “He provoked me.”
Samantha glared at me and stretched her head to one side so that I could just see the edge of a bandage covering her neck.
“Like I provoked you last night you mean?” she asked sarcastically, “I suppose I should be grateful you didn’t put me in the hospital.  I should have listened to Paul in the first place.”
I began to feel angry again.  It made me defensive.
“I did not mean to feed on you quite so violently,” I said, forcing myself to remain still, “And for that I apologize.”
She caught herself and stared at me curiously.
“You are apologizing?” she asked, “Wow.”
I stood up slowly, and she stiffened, holding up her hands.  Her power flared, and I realised she was preparing for an attack.
“I will not hurt you here,” I said, “I am fully fed and in control of my instincts.”
“Shit,” she said softly, “It was you who attacked the doctor downstairs.”
I nodded once, smiling again.
“Yes,” I replied, “He gave me what I needed to heal.”
Samantha frowned.
“What about this guy?” she asked, waving her hand at Ryan James, “What are you waiting for?”
My expression hardened.
“He is a vampire hunter,” I said quietly, “I require answers.  We battled last night after I left you.  He was hunting along the promenade, near the Pleasure Beach.  He found what he was looking for, but he was not prepared for a fight with such an old and powerful vampire.”


If you enjoyed this one, why not pop over to our dedicated Hump Day Hook blog and peruse some new and exciting authors. We write about romance, love, science fiction, fantasy, erotica and everything in-between, so you are sure to find something that delights the senses. You can also find us on Facebook. Happy Humping!

*Vampire image courtesy of Deviant Art

4 comments: