Monday 28 January 2019

The Truth about being a Freelance Writer


I have reached a point where I am about ready to give up my dreams of making a living from my books and my writing. For the past five years or so, I have tried all sorts of strategies to try and break into the “professional” arena. But just last week I learned a valuable lesson: there is no right or wrong way to do it. When it comes to earning money from your writing, you simply need to have contact with the right people in the right places, at the right time. For example, I could submit a manuscript to a literary agent, but depending on if and when they find time to look at it, I probably won’t make an impression.


The key lesson, I realised, is that we should never give up. I only submit manuscripts once or twice a year to agents and publishers, unless I am paying a publisher for their services. I have probably submitted even less pitches for freelance writing work if I take an average. Mostly it is because the publications I want to write for rarely share their contact details in public places. And the smaller publications that I approach usually tell me they can’t (or won’t) pay for my work, but they are happy to publish an article for free. Well, I am done with that. I publish free articles on my SpookyMrsGreen blog three times a week, and I have submitted more work than I care to remember to professional organisations. It is time for some payback in the form of cold, hard cash. I am still searching for that lucrative contract, but I need to give myself a kick up the backside, stop being complacent, and get on with it. Let’s see how we get on…


Are you Team Jack or Team Danny? Sign up now and receive your FREE story from #TheRedcliffeNovels series set in Cornwall, England.

No comments:

Post a Comment