Wednesday 6 February 2013

Hump Day Hook #HDH - Love Hurts (A Redcliffe Novel)

Good morning and welcome to another Hump Day Hook! This week I have decided to show what happened when Jessica Stone met the vampire Marcus Scott. He is an interesting character. He was only supposed to have a bit part in the Redcliffe novels, but somehow he wheedled his way into the cast, and if I'm honest, into my heart! Watch out for more of Marcus when I find the right publisher for his story...

For now, here is the Hump Day Hook taken from my debut novel Love Hurts (A Redcliffe Novel). Don't forget you can read the whole novel for free on Wattpad for a limited time only, check it out!


“Marcus stop!” I cried, “Please stop, you’re hurting me!”
I was suddenly in a blind panic as he lifted his head, his face pale, and his eyes wild.  He opened his mouth and I tried to scream.  He was going to bite me! 
Suddenly he was flung away and slammed into the ground across the car park.  I saw Danny standing before me.  He glared at Marcus.
 “What did we tell you?” he yelled, “She is with Jack; she is not yours to take.  Leave us!” 
Marcus smoothly stood and put a hand to his mouth where he was bleeding from Danny’s punch.  He smiled and sauntered away without a word.  Danny turned back to me. 
“Are you alright, Jessica?” he asked, “Did he hurt you?” 
Tears sprang to my eyes.  I felt so foolish, so stupid.  If I hadn’t gotten drunk I could have stopped this from happening.  Danny‘s expression was full of concern. 
“Hey it’s all right.” he said softly, “Look, come inside and I’ll get you some water and find Jack.”   


Dramatic, isn't he? Marcus is a brilliant vampire, and he certainly throws a spanner in the works when he makes an appearance. You can see more of him in my second novel Love Kills (A Redcliffe Novel) and in my upcoming third release Love Redeems (A Redcliffe Novel)

If you want to see more great writing from diverse and exciting authors, check out our Hump Day Hook blog and the Facebook page for links to more excerpts. You will not be disappointed!
 


26 comments:

  1. Intense! It will be interesting to see more of Marcus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is even more intense by book 3! He is a great character.

      Delete
  2. I love the characters that are meant to be a flash in the pan but demand more attention. Marcus sounds very much like one of those and I'd love to see more of him :) Great hook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sure is! He was only ever supposed to be a fleeting character, dropping in and out occasionally, but he took a particular interest in Jessica and now he won't leave her alone!

      Delete
  3. Great hook...makes you want to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dramatic hook, I love it and want to read more

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, very intriguing! But by Marcus's smile, I don't think he's finished yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far from it, you know him so well already! That was just the beginning, and it still isn't resolved by the end of the third book, Love Redeems...

      Delete
  6. All of your characters are intriguing. I bought the first one and am totally looking forward to the others, including the story of the passionate Marcus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Flossie. Yes, Marcus is very passionate, and not afraid to show it!

      Delete
  7. Glad someone was there for her. You have me curious, which makes for a good hook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! Yes, she always seems to find support, which is lucky really...

      Delete
  8. Intriguing indeed! Marcus's smile makes me wonder what he is up to. And I love Danny already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, where Marcus is concerned it can only mean trouble! Yes, Danny is very loveable, although a little cocky at times.

      Delete
  9. Marcus seems a cocky bloke, spoiling for a fight. Great description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is a bit like that. He doesn't back down when he wants something, and right now he just wants Jessica. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  10. Aww that was kind of sweet - I'm not sure how, but it was. I'm such a fang-girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand! Those pesky vampires just seem more irresistible with every misdemeanor!

      Delete
  11. Yes, I get that Marcus has a plan, and danny is the protector, but where's the elusive Jack?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Where is Jack, and why is his brother left to protect his girlfriend? The story will unfold...

      Delete